Our vision at Petco is Healthier Pets. Happier People. Better World. We’re making things better for pets, people and the planet through our Think Adoption First philosophy, the Petco Foundation and other important initiatives that focus on putting animals first, educating pet parents and reducing our carbon footprint. The journey starts with knowledgeable, passionately engaged associates who are proud to recommend Petco as a place to work, who believe in our Vision and who are committed to delivering a superior customer experience.
From our retail stores and our network of Distribution Centers to our Corporate offices, you’ll work with others who share your values and commitment. We seek individuals who are passionate about animal welfare, have great people skills and are driven to grow and advance in their careers with us. Our ongoing growth is creating exceptional opportunities for professional development and personal enrichment throughout our organization.
Responsible for lease compliance of an assigned portfolio of PETCO stores to accurately and timely enforce lease provisions between the Company and its landlords including auditing co-tenancy and operating costs associated with common area maintenance, property taxes, insurance and other costs; and interpreting lease terms and conditions for Management and the accounting department as needed.
Essential Job Functions: The incumbent must be able to perform all of the following duties and responsibilities with or without a reasonable accommodation.
- Audit annual landlord reconciliation invoices for common area maintenance, real estate taxes, insurance, etc. to identify overcharges. Obtain detailed documentation to validate all expenses charged; provide clear and precise audit results.
- Responsible for collection of overcharges resulting from said audit findings. Negotiate with landlords for timely resolution of all issues.
- Analyze operating cost estimates and billings. Act as an advocate for lower costs and more efficient processes.
- Advise Manager of unfavorable lease language related to occupancy costs and recommend improvements when leases are up for renewal, renegotiation or during use waiver requests.
- Provide support to Legal, Real Estate Directors and other partners that affect estoppels, renewals, amendments, use waivers or other deal negotiations.
- Assist Property Manager – Lease Administration in regard to store closing process by ensuring all year end reconciliations are received.
- Collect required documentation from Landlords necessary to effectively conduct compliance audit (coten, character of sc and exclusive use); validate information in Tririga is accurate.
- Prepare supporting compliance spreadsheets; validate information in Tririga is accurate or enter as necessary.
- Create and deliver reports to Manager, Property Management-Lease Compliance to increase productivity and efficiency of role.
- Partner closely with Property Managers and Property Management Projects Analyst.
- Assure amicable landlord-tenant relationships are maintained while settling disputes for assigned territory.
- Other duties as assigned.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interact professionally and effectively through verbal and written communication with all professional contacts with emphasis on company interests.
- Independently prioritize and accomplish multiple tasks within established timeframes.
Education/Experience: The educational background of an applicant to this position is a four-year college degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience, with a strong accounting background preferred. A qualified applicant will also have a thorough knowledge of and experience in CAM auditing and “NNN” leases, cost accounting. Position requires excellent written and verbal communication, negotiation and organizational skills and the ability to negotiate disputes while maintaining good relationships with the landlords and to interact with managers in other Petco departments to develop and maintain best practices. A minimum of five years experience in professional level commercial real estate/lease audit is required.
Competencies: Demonstrate Adaptability and Desire to Learn — Works productively in the face of ambiguity or uncertainty. Demonstrates flexibility and resilience in response to obstacles, constraints, adversity, and mistakes. Constructively and resourcefully adapts to changing needs, conditions, priorities or opportunities. Seeks out opportunities to learn from new discoveries, innovations, ways of looking at things, knowledge, and ideas. Invites and incorporates feedback, without becoming defensive. Experience with Tririga a plus.
- Perform Professional Analysis — Integrates information from a variety of sources to arrive at a broader understanding of issues (e.g., company reports plus in-store observations). Defines issues clearly despite incomplete or ambiguous information. Identifies the key issues in complex or ambiguous problems. Approaches problems or issues systematically, looking for connections, trends, and potential causes. Probes and looks past symptoms to determine the underlying causes of problems and issues.
- Plan and Execute — Develops realistic plans (e.g., action steps, timelines) to accomplish objectives. Acquires and leverages resources, processes, and tools to achieve business goals. Prioritizes and balances time, actions, and projects to ensure accomplishment of results. Holds him/herself and team accountable for outcomes (e.g., achieving goals and complying with policies and procedures). Anticipates and addresses obstacles, redirecting efforts to accelerate the work or improve quality.
- Produce Results — Initiates decisive, timely action to address important issues. Demonstrates a strong sense of ownership and a commitment to achieving meaningful results. Sets challenging, clear goals/targets and expectations for achieving business results. Drives initiatives/efforts to successful completion and closure. Takes personal responsibility to make decisions and take action.
- Satisfy the Customer — Identifies and anticipates customer requirements, expectations, and needs. Seeks feedback from customers to identify improvement opportunities. Follows up with customers to ensure problems are solved. Continually searches for ways to improve customer service (including the removal of barriers, and providing solutions).
- Use Professional Judgment — Makes logical, rational, and integrative decisions, and arrives at sound conclusions. Chooses the best alternative(s) based on a review of pros, cons, tradeoffs, timing, and probabilities. Evaluates the consequences and implications of alternatives, actions, or decisions (e.g., impact on sales, returns, customer loyalty). Makes timely decisions, balancing analysis with decisiveness.
For more information or to apply visit: https://careers.petco.com/job/12370291/lease-compliance-auditor-san-antonio-tx/